I was in doubt if the cash voucher for the return portion of my plane ticket from my scholarship in 1967 was still valid. In January 1975, I went to the Air France office in Brussels to inquire about it. What an incredible surprise when the manager told and confirmed that I could even fly round trip with it not only for me but also for my wife. Without too much hesitation, I immediately booked our departure right there and then for March 15, 1975, a month after her birthday as a gift because she didn't expect to come with me and to leave her with our two small sons behind.
When I came home to tell her about the trip, she wasn't too happy and excited to go on a long trip and to leave our children behind in the care of her folks. Unfortunately, right on her birthday when she was to feel happy and radiant, she received a call that her mother suddenly passed away. So, we flew immediately to Italy to attend the wake and funeral services. I felt so sad for her that I even thought she would cancel her trip to Manila. A week before our departure date, she came home and helped me prepare our baggage. When she was in Italy, I busied myself buying gifts and souvenirs for my folks back home because it was my first visit. I know everyone would be too excited to see and meet my wife in person for the first time.
After the late slow train ride from Brussels at midnight the day before, we arrived at Paris Nord early on March 15. As the direct train connection between Brussels and Paris via Charles de Gaulle international airport started service for the first time on November 15, 1996, we took the bus and arrived more than enough time in advance to go through the customs and immigration and take our seat inside the 747 jumbo jet, which was our first time. Our plane was a direct flight to Hong Kong and we had to take another plane to Manila. When we arrived in Bangkok, Air France officially announced that the plane was unexpectedly requisitioned for Saigon to expatriate their nationals. So, our connecting flight to Hong Kong was replaced by Air Siam on a refurbished 747 plane that was delayed for a few hours for maintenance and check-up. Finally, we departed after 4 hours of waiting and window shopping in the tax-free zone where I bought an emerald ring. Personally, I found the in-flight services and meals were as good as the others and the flight was smooth and comfortable.
We arrived in Hong Kong and met my youngest sister who was a novitiate at the Salesian convent in Kowloon where we stayed for almost a week as guests. To be continued.
No comments:
Post a Comment