What a very delicate and a far-fetched question to ask for a person who comes from an ordinary and a virtually poor family background who practically hasn't gone further than his toilet as my friends always replied to me as a remark of derision or envy.
I was only 11 years old when our 5th grade elementary teacher assigned each one of us to draw a flag of any UN member nation of our choice as our class project. Unfortunately, I only had a very limited number of colors that I could choose from at that time because I already used most of them on other graphics.. Eventually, I found the tri-color flag of Belgium which I thought was too simple, fast and easy to draw just following my fancy and temperament at that moment.
I wished so much earlier to discover the beauty and people of Belgium that never transgressed my young mind that someday I would ever live and settle down there. However, the thought came back again later when I visited a schoolmate who lived a block away from my house who had black and white photo murals on their walls collected by his uncle who worked at the Belgian embassy. Some years later, I heard the most popular song "Dominique" which I didn't even realize was sung and composed by a Belgian nun.
Much to my regret, I kept my dream on hold but my heart ached so much that I continued to think of how I could leave for abroad at the shortest possible occasion. I carefully thought of following a plan of action that I thought would succeed.
When I was in my senior year in secondary school, I joined an internationl pen pal organizaion that was subsequently recommended by the social secretary of the White House in reply to my letter to PresidentI Eisenhower in 1959. At the same time, I subscribed to the "Round the World Program" magazine, advertised on the Reader's Digest that sent me France first series in their collection for free including color world map as a bonus.
Later on, I saw so many pictures of the Bayanihan and the Filipinesca dance troupes in local magazines on their world performances that it incited me to join, but I didn't know the right persons to contact and the monent to do so. As I didn't have any training or experience in classical dancing in order to be able to qualify at a first glance, I first tried to inquire in a ballet school to know what were the requirements needed and the expenses to be incurred eventually just to be able to perform like a famous dancer before the public. When I was told to present myself for the preliminary test in an appropriate outfit like a tutu or a tight, I was so disheartened that I left discreetly and walked away in shame because I wouldn't have the means to pay for all the necessary expenses. So, I immediately gave up the idea rather than to see my mother's reaction to how she could afford to pay me to be part of a dance class and to watch me perform in tights before her and the general public.
I didn't continue the first year at the Philippine College of Arts and Trade, because I hated the practical manual courses in welding and forging that I failed eventually. I thought that finishing the four-course would automatically give me the opportunity to get a job on the ocean-going vessels that would take me around the world for free.
While waiting for the following school year during the summer of 1959, I enrolled at the free first-aid classes sponsored by the local Red Cross, a qualification required to apply for the post of steward at the Philippine Air Lines, Much to my regret, I was not accepted because I did not have a university degree. and worse yet I was short-sighted and I needed to wear a pair of glasses all the time to be able to move and recognize easily how to entertain and serve the passengers correctly.
Finally, I decided to go to free a vocational school to be able to learn a trade and work my way to earn a living so that I could pay for my tuition and to obtain a university degree. While attending classes in the the typing shorthand course, I enrolled in the food trade course in the evening to be able to work in the famous restaurant along the waterfront that was patronized by rich foreign tourists who in my thought would take interest in me for my service who would sponsor me to accompany them when they go back to their own countries.
One evening sometime in the late spring of 1961, I left the restaurant where I worked as apprentice after a busy and hectic evening, I was approached me by two American servicemen who could have come down from Clark and proposed me to join them in a taxi to go to somewhere for a wild night of fun along the Dewey Boulevard. Unfortunately, it was too late and I felt too obliged, so I left them alone in the taxi. Immediately,I took the first available passing jeepney to get home as fast as possible and sleep. I could imagine how worried my mother could be if I wasn't back after midnight. In hindsight, however, I had the feeling of regret that they could have made my wish come true had I obliged them. On the other hand, they appeared to be too nice to talk to that they could have helped me easily to recommend for a job inside the American base after I finish my typing course. What a wishful thinking if it were only good to be true!
In a nutshell, I would say personally that to go abroad could be very highly possible for anybody who even comes from a poor family background. Good luck!
Follow my link on how I finally succeeded to go abroad for free.
DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLE?
No comments:
Post a Comment