Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Is Living In Sweden Depressing?

Chris Ebbert

Having lived in ten countries, some of which considered officially fun, my take on this is that life in Sweden is not depressing.

Because what is it that makes a life depressing?

  • high interpersonal stress
  • lack of visual delights
  • poverty
  • armed conflict
  • oppression
  • poor selections

… you get it. Sweden is not like that at all.

Sweden is a gentle, beautiful place where the people are polite and quiet, where the built and natural environments are of exceptional beauty, where poverty is unknown, where war hasn’t happened in over 200 years, where oppression is illegal, and where you can buy whatever you like.

If even a place like that feels depressing, I’m not sure there is much hope for anyone on this planet.

Maybe some impressions from here can paint a picture - I’ve taken these pictures myself. I’m just a university lecturer who lives in the middle of Sweden, and this is what I see every day:

Believe me, I’ve seen a lot worse.

Some may say “oh! These are all summer pictures! Show the awful, depressing winter that’s on for six months every year!”

Ok.

Here we go, the awful, depressing winter:

Enjoying every minute of it.

No comments: