Friday, August 16, 2024

Are Filipinos usually cliquey at work?

Profile photo for Mark Haywood
 · 
Follow

Yes, they are cliquey and uncomfortable around “foreigners" and this is my experience after having many interactions with them.

I was once invited by a Filipino friend to a party/gathering at the house where he and other Philippines OFW's lived.

No one spoke to me until a male Filipino showed up later and shortly after seeing me he started yelling at me from across the room and accusing me that I was likely taking advantage of my Filipino friend. No one spoke up to defend me including my friend. I took the abuse and then stayed a little longer to see if anyone would try to make up for this guy's abuse by at least apologizing for him.

No such luck. I then excused myself quietly to my friend and left. I chose never to see him again. I've found that mostly the highly educated and VERY fluent English-speaking Filipinos will dare to have a conversation with you. (The others could care less trying although Filipinos are welcomed the world over as OFW's and apart from they're labor they send back to The Philippines billions of dollars every year to be spent there and not in the countries that paid them that money.)

Every Filipino will defend all other Filipinos whenever a foreigner is involved in the social equation. If a Filipino approaches you first with a smile and open arms keep your hands in your pockets because they're likely looking for a financial or social benefit from you and not interested in a genuine friendship. They're working some kind of angle and they’re great at playing the long game. They're praised for being family-oriented but only their families and no other groups (ie. your co-workers who won't speak to you).

I even married a Filipino because I'm a sucker for punishment. I separated from him four years ago and he has found another foreigner willing to take the chance. Both of us are Caucasian foreigners so he can immigrate to our wealthy countries.

Now he's trying to move to Australia (I'm Canadian). He got in on a visitor's visa last August even though neither he nor the Australia guy has told the authorities what their plan is. Once he gets landed immigrant status there he said he'd be divorcing me. They have both asked me for a divorce!

I told them I won't be paying another penny on the ex so they better send me the money for my share of the legal costs, otherwise my self-described ‘Christian’ ex can continue to ‘live in sin'.

I could care less if I remain married on paper. I have no intention of ever re-marrying because here in Canada if I live long enough with another partner that partner can make financial claims for ongoing support on my estate. I'm cool with that.

I've actually considered moving to The Philippines (remember, I told you I'm a sucker for punishment!) now that I'm comfortably retired after surviving a bankruptcy brought on by the nearly $100,000 I spent on him. I have, however, realized that I could move to any non-speaking English countries and have better experiences. What's the use of moving to The Philippines with English as an official language there when no one will speak to you unless your conducting business with them?

Noticing a trend here? Money is their motivation to talk to you, so don't feel bad if they don't talk to you at work. Maybe invite them out to a restaurant and offer to pay, however that's still no guarantee you'll make a connection that lasts.

I would be glad that they don't talk to me because they don't seem to have a gift to offer much of value in a conversation. YOU are NOT family! Even if you married one of them you are NOT family! If they ask for a loan from you or you're generous in giving then and only then are you family. Of course you're expected not to expect them to pay back a loan, and if you do then again you're NO LONGER FAMILY!

If you find a Filipino or Filipina that puts you first then you've found a unicorn and you run as far away from their family as you can. Good luck at work. Just believe that silence is golden. 

No comments: