Tuesday, October 15, 2024

My impressions during my stay in the Philippines

Profile photo for Stryker220
 · 
Follow

In August of 2023, I started a long distance relationship with a Filipina.

Like normal relationships we had the regular ebbs and flows that comes with dating. Moments of pure laughter and intimacy, and also moments of struggling to find things to talk about as well as disagreements. But nonetheless, we stuck with it, and in February of 2024, I decided to fly out and meet her. Six months later, this is my story…

Upon first landing in the Philippines, the first thing you notice is the heat. Or at least it was for me—a pasty white guy from a small town in Michigan where the Sun is just there to mock you. But, in the Philippines, the Sun is relentless, even when it isn’t there and the moon has taken its place, the heat lingers. In fact, you will often hear Filipinos say, while fanning themselves, “So hot in the Philippines…” Somebody once told me that I’d even get used to the heat; it’s been 9 months and I am sitting in front of an electric fan right now because the exertion of typing this is making me sweat more than normal.

The next thing you will find is that Filipinos drive like nothing else I have seen. And not in a good way (sorry guys, but it’s true). Sure, there’s traffic signs and lines on the road, but those are just mere suggestions, meant to be broken. People are swerving in and out of lanes, passing on the right, passing on the left, and it’s all managed by a horn system that I still cannot figure out. To be frank, it’s scary as hell. Six months in and I still haven’t seen a speed limit sign, just a sign that says “Tanduay: Drive Safely!”

Which brings us to the next topic: alcohol. It’s good, it’s strong, and it’s super cheap. So, I’ll keep this topic short, but if you ever do come here and someone offers you Tanduay, there is a reason why they drink it with water. You’ve be warned; please be careful.

Now, up until this point, I’m sure it seems like this may not be the place for you, but let me reassure you, it is so much more than just those things (and the lizards, and spiders, and ants, and cockroaches…). So, if you’re still reading this, please allow me to share with you the wonderful things about the Philippines, and why I have stayed.

First, the scenery. Whether you are in the bustling city of Manila, or in the provincial mountains of Banate, this country is so beautiful. With more than 7000 islands, it would be impossible to run of sights that amaze you. Even in places where homes are made of a mixture of concrete, bamboo, and aluminum, you can see the beauty in how hard these people have worked, just to be able to afford a place for their families to live. But, if you ever do come here, please venture past the tourist spots. There’s so much more to this country than the beautiful beaches and pristine waters.

Next, we have the people. So humble and kind, beautiful and thoughtful, the people of the Philippines are unlike any other I’ve encountered in my travels. If you are ever in need, and they are capable of giving, they will. Poverty runs deep here in this country, but unlike in other countries where poverty can make people bitter, they never let it get under their skin. It is just the way of life here.

Then there is the food. Oh my, the food! I’ll admit, I was skeptical at first of the street foods, but then I tried it…siomai, balut (a steamed fertilized egg), barbecue (which consists of chicken heads, feet, intestines, blood, and pig tongue, belly, ear…etc.), the options are aplenty. And they are all good, but in different places. So, you may go to one cart to get pig barbecue, and another to get chicken. But, my personal favorite is green mango with shrimp paste from Manila, balut from Iloilo, and lechon (roasted pig) from Banate. Anyway, if for nothing else, you should definitely visit for the food.

Lastly, I stayed for my Filipina. So kind and caring, beautiful and smart. I truly couldn’t ask for a better partner.

No comments: