Monday, July 22, 2024

Do non-Filipinos have any "only in the Philippines" moments or experiences during their visits?

Profile photo for Michael Browne
 · 
Follow
  1. You can’t pay bills online. So I’m in the queue to pay my Davao Light bill and notice placards stating “Get your e-bill online today!” or some such promotion. “Great!” thinks I, I can now pay the bill online instead of having to go into town for it! I get to the counter and ask about the e-billing and am told that I can apply for it online or at the desk. “So I can now pay my bill online, eh?”. Answer, no you can’t. Why not? Because you only get the bill online, cannot pay online. So without a paper bill delivered to my house, how do I come in here to pay it? You have to print the bill and bring it in! WTF? I have to use my own printer, ink and paper to print a bill that is freely delivered to my house otherwise? Only in Philippines…
  2. The tricycal - phenomenal anachronistic method of transporting people, animals and construction equipment. You can get 7 or more people on/in one, or one large pig (plums sticking out the back if it’s a male), and half a ton of roofing steel and rebar (kabelya) thrust through its innards… I was told that the sand, gravel and hollow blocks I didn’t want to put in my truck, plus two 6m galvanised steel pipes could also be transported by one! Not all at the same time though…

Remarkable…

No comments: