Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Why do most Filipinos work at low-paying jobs?

This is funny. I think this refers more to Filipinos working abroad. I’ll give you a personal story. I started working in Saudi Arabia as a draftsman. Much like any first time engineer/architects do. I was paid $400/mo. in 1996. When I got there. I learned some of my colleagues who were Lebanese/Egyptians were paid more than $1000/mo. their first time coming. So I asked myself why the disparity? Well first I wasn’t an Arab, second, not a Muslim, third I was Filipino where as a rule we were generally paid less even with equal or superior educational backgrounds. I actually rose to such a position that I was paid more than some Arabs at the position of project coordinator/manager but still generally less. But in comparison to what I would make back in the Philippines under the same position I was making twice as much abroad.

Then this. An Filipino acquaintance of mine who was paid about $1,500/mo. left the Middle East to immigrate to Canada. Some 9–11 years later. We met again back in the Middle East. He was back working for the past year for a local company. He was hired back by his former manager from the one he left. But this time, his pay scale is quite different. He’s a Canadian now. With a Canadian passport. Now he was making around $200k/year for the same job he left just a higher position.

No comments: