Saturday, July 27, 2024

Why do old people get tired so easily?

Profile photo for Henry R. Greenfield

Every answer was basically I am amazing, bionic, I work out, I walk several miles a day. I am 80, 90 whatever and I am in better shape than I was when I was 20.

Well here is the answer to that bull shit, if you are in better shape at 79 than you were when you were 20 you are a liar. Or you are a fool or you let your body go for so long that it won’t come back like you think and again, you are lying.

You are tired because you are in pain. Long term debilitating pain and your life is a struggle with medical all the time.

I will soon be 74, doesn’t sound like much but I have noticed I have to pay more and more attention to my medical care. I have gone from, avoid the medical guys, then a few years ago to start doing annual physicals. Then checking what are the genetic predispositions in my family and of course sharing all of this with my siblings.

In fact more and more my conversations with them are about health, not about how much I exercise or if I feel tired. Tired, hahaha that’s a joke. Of course we feel tired, of course it is difficult, of course we need to force ourselves to exercise. Of course we should get up especially in the morning and take those morning walks or do this:

Tai Chi, it is for all of the spiritual mumbo jumbo, really just exercise for old people. And of course women do it way more than men and they do it together which is the other way you stay healthy and alive.

Bottom line, all of the stories of wonderful grandma lived to 100 by walking 2 miles a day are nice but in reality we all need to know our bodies. Of course get off of the couch, you lose it if you don’t use it.

Still we would do well to be careful, I cannot tell you how many times my exercise routine has been increasingly thrown off by my doing just another 10 reps with those light weights. And the next day, OMG my shoulder is killing me and there goes a week waiting for it to heal.

Heal thyself is nice and staying away from the med folks is also wonderful, but in the end as we enter those 70’s and then if we are really lucky 80s there is only one thing to remember, keep on truckin, keep on moving it is as simple as that.

And check with everyone you can to find out what they are doing to avoid the pain / meds and to stay away from that stuff as much as possible.

 

No comments: