Tuesday, April 02, 2024

Till death do us part



**Christopher Reeve spotted Dana Morosini while she was singing at a Cabaret show at the Williamstown Theatre Festival. Dana, who was 25 at the time, immediately caught Christopher's attention.**

As the show came to an end, the star went up to the young woman and introduced himself. He was already in love with the pretty blonde woman. Dana, on the other hand, was not very sure of going out with a Hollywood star. According to This is Glamorous, she had a preconceived notion of him and thought, "He’s going to be an arrogant, stuck-up movie star idiot, and I don’t want anything to do with him!”

Soon, the couple who were dating, fell in love and decided to get married. On a rainy day in April 1992, the two tied the knot in an intimate and romantic ceremony. They vowed to be there for each other in sickness and in health.

Everything was great until the accident that occurred three years after their marriage. In 1995, Christopher was thrown off a horse. This resulted in his first and second vertebrae were shattered, leaving him a quadriplegic.

Christopher was heartbroken. He could not believe what had happened to him. The road to recovery was extremely difficult. He actually considered giving up his life. And in a particularly difficult moment, he told his wife, "Maybe we should let me go."

But Dana was not ready to let go off the man she loved. She assured her husband who wanted to die so bad that she was always going to be there for him no matter what. "I am only going to say this once: I will support whatever you want to do because this is your life and your decision. But I want you to know that I’ll be with you for the long haul, no matter what. You’re still you. And I love you," said Dana. Commenting on this a couple of years later, Dana added, "When it's actually the person you love, the person you know and there's no head injury, no brain damage," she said then. "It's him. It's the essence of him, and that's what I said to him. I said, 'It's you.'"

She asked him to hold on for two years and then decide if he still wanted to consider saying goodbye to life forever.

In the aftermath of the accident, Reeve went through intense grief. He gradually resolved to make the best of his new life, with a busy schedule of activism, film work, writing and promoting his books, public speaking, and parenting.

"We've now transcended into something where our moments together are even more valuable than they ever were. Dana has not missed one day in the 12 weeks, driving often three hours a day just to come to be with me. And I would not be where I am today with the positive outlook that I have and the sense of real hope and purpose if it were not for Dana," said Christopher to ABC News.

She sat by his side every day, some days helping him with the physical exercises. Her husband could not move but that didn't change her love for him. "We're as physical with each other as we can be. And we're as close as we can be. As you notice, I don't know many couples who have been together for 15 years who do sit hand in hand. Or who, I mean, we kiss all the time," said Dana in 2002.

In 2004, Dana was shattered. Her Superman left her after a sudden cardiac arrest. After 12 years of knowing each other and supporting each other through all the tough times, she was left alone. But she could not stop loving him. In an interview after his death, Dana said, "I made a vow to Chris when we married that I would love him, and I would be with him, in sickness and in health, and I did OK with that. But there's another vow that I need to amend today. I promised to love, honor, and cherish him till death do us part, well I can't do that. Because I will love, honor, and cherish him forever." It is no doubt that this love is one of a kind, hard to find, and harder to experience.

No comments: