Thursday, June 13, 2024

Was Nicole Kidman happy to divorce Tom Cruise?

Profile photo for Karen Marie Shelton

Tom Cruise divorced Nicole Kidman in 2001. It was considered a controversial divorce.

He is the one who filed the paperwork and cited “irreconcilable differences.”

The divorce left Kidman “shocked.” It also shocked outsiders.

Was Kidman happy that Tom Cruise divorced her?

Initially, she seemed unhappy about the divorce, which shocked and devastated her.

Speaking to People at the time of the divorce, she said:

“Our life together was perfect. It took me a very long time to heal. It was a shock to my system. That was a great relationship. I think it ran its course. I was really damaged and unsure whether [love and marriage] would ever happen again to me.”

Nicole Kidman Was Only 23 When She Married Tom Cruise

Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise met on the movie set of Days of Thunder. They married in 1990 when Kidman was only 23 years old. Eventually, they adopted two children, Isabella Jane and Connor Anthony.

The reasons for the divorce between the two mega superstars were never explained.

According to the famed actress, she felt like she lived in Cruise’s shadow for the majority of their marriage as he was the bigger star at the time. This caused her to doubt herself.

She told US Weekly:

“I became famous very young. I became very famous because I was the wife of somebody. I felt I became a star only by association. I didn’t think (my early movies) were very good, which is why I would always cower in the background,”

“I thought, I don’t deserve to be here. We would go to the Oscars, and I would think, I’m here to support him. I felt it was my job to put on a beautiful dress and to be seen and not heard.”

In an essay for New York Magazine, Kidman also said her marriage helped her survive in the industry.

“I got married very young, but it definitely wasn’t power for me – it was protection. I married for love, but being married to an extremely powerful man kept me from being sexually harassed. I would work, but I was still very much cocooned. When I came out of it at 32, 33, it’s almost like I had to grow up.”

She also revealed that she suffered two miscarriages during the marriage.

By the time Kidman did agree to the divorce. a photo of her was taken of her leaving her divorce attorney’s office.

The photo has since become somewhat of a meme in pop culture, with many aspiring to the level of joy Kidman appears to be experiencing..

Image from Pinterest

Insiders have revealed that by the time Kidman agreed to the divorce which she reportedly initially fought, she was happy and relieved to move on with her life.

The photo above indicates she was eventually happy the marriage was over.

The Takeaway - Was Nicole Kidman happy to divorce Tom Cruise?

Tom Cruise divorced Nicole Kidman, but ultimately, it turned out just fine for her.

Since then, Kidman has found love again with country singer Keith Urban. They married in 2006 and share two children together: Sunday Rose, born naturally in 2008, and Faith Margaret, born in 2011 via surrogate.

Her career rose to new heights following the split. She won a Golden Globe for her role in Moulin Rouge in 2002 and an Academy Award, Golden Globe, and BAFTA for her starring role in Hours in 2003. Her most recent hit Big Little Lies, is much-loved by critics, and she’s won many awards for it.

All is well that ends well. Maybe initially, Nicole Kidman was shocked and devastated when Tom Cruise divorced her, but it all worked out. 

No comments: